Crumb Topped Apple Pie Recipe
This pie is absolutely delicious! If you’re a beginner, use a store-bought pie crust to get a head start. You’ll still get a bushel of compliments. —Virginia Olson, West Des Moines, Iowa
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 5 large tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 450°. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- 3. For filling, place apples in crust. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.
- 4. For topping, combine flour and sugar in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-60 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 443 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 189 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC