- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 5 large tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- For filling, place apples in crust. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.
- For topping, combine flour and sugar in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-60 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Crumb Topped Apple Pie
Sort By :
"I first tried this pie when I saw it in a TOH magazine ( I forget the year) I've made every time I want a 1 crust pie, it is the best 1 crust apple pie ever. However I still prefer MY 2 crust when I want a 2 crust.p. s. Mrs. Olson's story is amazing. Thank you Mrs. Olson."
"I make baked goods for work all the time. A girl at worked requested an apple pie for her birthday. So I decided to go with this one. I got 3 thumbs up, if that's even possible :). So after she raved about it, along with her family, I decided to make one for myself around Turkey Day. Needless to say, it certainly didnt last long :(. This had to be the best apple pie I have ever had. Will be making it for the Christmas holiday as well.I highly recommend!!!"
"A little too tart for our taste but I would definitely make again in a heartbeat using Golden Delicious or a less tart apple. We also used a pre-made shell to save time and it turned out just great. Other than the type of apple, it was very good. Will stay in our collection for sure."
"This pie was great, from the crust to the crumb topping."
"This is the most delicious apple pie I've ever made or tasted. I took the advise of another reviewer and reduced the sugar for filling to 1/2 cup, used Mac. apples & refrigerated pie crust. This is a keeper in my recipe box.Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us all."