Crumb-Topped Apple & Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- PUMPKIN FILLING:
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1. On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Transfer pastry to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon. Spoon into crust.
- 2. In another large bowl, whisk the pumpkin filling ingredients. Pour over apple mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes.
- 3. For topping, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly; stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over pie.
- 4. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until a knife inserted into pumpkin layer comes out clean (cover edge with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary).
- 5. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
1 piece: 342 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 259mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Crumb-Topped Apple & Pumpkin Pie
"Great recipe! ! I made two of these pies and served them for Thanksgiving with vanilla ice cream. Not one piece was left. My family could not stop talking about them. It was super easy to make and the topping sent it over the edge. An added bonus was the fresh mountain Honey Crisp apples I used too. No fuss receipe with a big wow factor!!!!"
"Made this at the request of my 14 and 19 year old sons for Thanksgiving. They asked for an apple/pumpkin pie in one pie. I thought I should see if there was a good recipe rather than scoff at the idea. This recipe looked like a winner and boy did it deliver the goods! I converted this to a gluten free/sugar free version and this recipe was GREAT! I used gluten free pie crust from Whole Foods Market, Pamela's pancake and baking mix for the gluten free flour and I sweetened it with Erythritol and a few drops of Stevia. I also used 2 eggs instead of egg substitute. All I can say is my sons didn't even know this was sugar free. I will probably make it again this weekend because it was such a hit. The butter walnut crumbly topping is divine. I made the night before and put it in the frige overnight."
"Excellent. Everyone liked it. Can I freeze this pie after it has been baked."
"I have made this recipe many times. I cheat and buy the pillsbury deep dish pie crust. We love it at home! When I tell people about it they are so judgmental and say that sounds gross and wrong! I just say they are wrong! I will be making it again soon!!"
"i tried this recipe last Thanksgiving because i had made a pie the year before that was simply just canned apple pie filling on the bottom and pumpkin on the top. i loved how it took my two favorite pies and put them together, so this seem like a way to upgrade from simple...long story short it didn't turn out as planed. i learned that i hate the way that roll out crust taste and for some reason the pumpkin didn't t get very solid like it should have. but i will try it again,altering it slightly.the flavors together alone are worth the effort it will take for me to get it right."
"Please try this recipe! I love both types of these pies but was leary to put them together... this pie was wonderful! It was better the second day after the flavors melded, so make a day in advance."
"I used 4 eggs instead of the egg substitute!"
"I wonder how this recipe would work with Splenda."
"is it okay to make this recipe with eggs instead of egg substitute?Mary"
"I know it seems like an odd combination, and believe me--I was skeptical. But I was totally won over and LOVE this pie!!"
"Excellent ,delicious and great tasting pie.I will make it for company."
"It is a very delicious and refreshing pie. I will make it for a party."
"Excellent! Many people weren't too sure about the combination, but it works perfectly!!!! Thanks for sharing this recipe."
"WOW - great recipe. Best of all it is 7 WW points and worth it!!!"