Crumb-Covered Sprouts Recipe
“I love brussels sprouts, but my family does not,” relates Anne Baines. So the Kennesaw, Georgia cook dresses up the steamed sprouts with crunchy bread crumbs, smoky bacon and cheddar cheese. “When I prepare them this way, they come back for seconds!” she assures.
- 12 fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons real bacon bits
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Place brussels sprouts in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 15-20 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the sesame seeds and garlic in oil and butter for 2-3 minutes or until sesame seeds are lightly browned. Add the bread crumbs and bacon; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown. Add the brussels sprouts, cheese, salt and pepper. Yield: 2-3 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 207 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 272 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC