Crumb Cake Recipe
This crumb cake has been a family favorite for years. The first time I took it to work as a treat for my co-workers, my boss told me that his grandmother used to make the same cake. He said she called it "kuchen" and served it in a bowl, broken into chunks, with milk poured on top. You can serve it plain for breakfast, or with whipped cream as a dessert.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:12-16 servings
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Whipped topping and pecan halves, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Remove 1 cup mixture and combine with cinnamon and nuts; set aside. To remaining crumb mixture, add milk and baking powder. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle the reserved crumb topping over batter. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until cake tests done. Cut into squares. Garnish with whipped topping and a pecan half if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 260 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 225 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC