Crown Roast with Wild Rice Stuffing Recipe
My mom made this tender, juicy crown roast for Christmas once. It was an impressive and memorable change from traditional stuffing. —Christine Frazier, Auburndale, Florida
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pork crown roast (16 ribs and about 9 pounds)
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds seasoned Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- OPTIONAL GARNISH:
- Fresh kale and pickled whole beets
- 1. Combine the salt, thyme, fennel and pepper; sprinkle over roast. Place on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Cover rib ends with foil. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 145°, basting occasionally with apple juice.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water, rice and salt if desired to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 3. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. In same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Drain rice; add rice and sausage to mushroom mixture and stir until blended.
- 4. Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove foil. Spoon stuffing into center of roast. Garnish platter with kale and beets if desired. To serve, carve between ribs. Yield: 16 servings (12 cups stuffing).
1 rib with 3/4 cup stuffing: 516 calories, 27g fat (10g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 43g protein.
Reviews for Crown Roast with Wild Rice Stuffing
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC