Crown Roast with Wild Rice Stuffing Recipe
My mom made this tender, juicy crown roast for Christmas once. It was an impressive and memorable change from traditional stuffing. —Christine Frazier, Auburndale, Florida
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pork crown roast (16 ribs and about 9 pounds)
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds seasoned bulk pork sausage
- OPTIONAL GARNISH:
- Fresh kale and pickled whole beets
- Combine the salt, thyme, fennel and pepper; sprinkle over roast. Place on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Cover rib ends with foil. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 145°, basting occasionally with apple juice.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water, rice and salt if desired to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. In same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Drain rice; add rice and sausage to mushroom mixture and stir until blended.
- Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove foil. Spoon stuffing into center of roast. Garnish platter with kale and beets if desired. To serve, carve between ribs. Yield: 16 servings (12 cups stuffing).
Originally published as Crown Roast with Wild Rice Stuffing in Taste of Home February/March 2009, p66
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Crown Roast with Wild Rice Stuffing(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Main Dish Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Side Dishes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Side Dishes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >
- Pork Recipes >
- Pork Roast Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Side Dish Recipes >