Crown Roast with Apricot Dressing Recipe
- 1 pork crown roast (12 ribs and about 8 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- APRICOT DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place roast, rib ends up, in a large shallow roasting pan; sprinkle with seasoned salt. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour.
- 2. Brush sides of roast with preserves. Bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°). Transfer roast to a serving platter. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- 3. For dressing, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and celery; cook and stir 6-8 minutes until tender. Stir in apricots and seasonings. Add bread crumbs; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 8-in.-square baking dish. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Carve roast between ribs; serve with dressing. Yield: 12 servings.
1 rib with 1/3 cup stuffing equals 419 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 105 mg cholesterol, 293 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 40 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.