For something different this holiday season, give your guests the royal treatment by serving this impressive pork roast. The fruity stuffing doubles as a side dish.—Donna Goutermont, Juneau, Alaska
Featured In: 16 Impressive Christmas Dinner Ideas
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1 pork crown roast (14 ribs and about 9 pounds)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups soft whole grain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Combine the salt, pepper and sage. Place roast, rib ends up, in a large shallow roasting pan; sprinkle with salt mixture. Cover rib ends with foil. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours.
- For stuffing, melt butter in a large skillet. Add onion and celery; saute until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the apples, cranberries, thyme, salt and pepper. Add bread crumbs and toss to coat. Stir in broth.
- Carefully spoon stuffing into the center of roast. Bake 45-60 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 145°. Transfer to a warm serving platter. Remove foil. Let roast stand for 15 minutes. Cut between ribs to serve. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Crown Pork Roast with Apple-Cranberry Stuffing in Country Woman December/January 2013, p54
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Crown Pork Roast with Apple-Cranberry Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review