Crowd Pleasing Wild Rice Bread Recipe
Wild rice gives this tender bread a tasty nutty flavor. This recipe makes five loaves, which are great for sharing. We enjoy slices warmed for dinner and toasted for breakfast. —Susan Schock, Hibbing, Minnesota
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 4-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 14 to 15 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the molasses, oil, salt and remaining water and sugar; mix well. Add wild rice. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 2. Punch dough down. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into five portions. Shape each into a loaf. Place in five greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 25-35 minutes or golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 loaves.
1 slice: 140 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Crowd Pleasing Wild Rice Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC