Crowd-Pleasing Baked Ziti Recipe
This isn’t your mama’s baked pasta! My zippy ziti boasts all the comfort and heartiness of Mom’s but with little kick from crushed red pepper flakes. Feel free to take the heat up a notch by using hot Italian sausage instead of sweet. The dish is easy to transport, making it great for potlucks.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) ziti or small tube pasta
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, basil, sugar, salt, pepper flakes and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Uncover; simmer 15-30 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired thickness. Discard bay leaf. Cool.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sauce mixture, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Romano cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and pasta.
- Spread 1-1/2 cups sauce mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Dot with 1/2 cup ricotta cheese. Top with pasta mixture. Pour remaining sauce mixture over the top. Dot with remaining ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella, Romano and Parmesan cheeses.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Crowd-Pleasing Baked Ziti in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p87
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Crowd-Pleasing Baked Ziti
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Pasta >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >