Crouton-Topped Garlic Soup Recipe
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups cubed sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a small skillet, cook garlic in oil over low heat for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook onions in butter until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Add the broth, thyme, bay leaf and reserved garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Stir in cream; heat through. Discard bay leaf.
- 3. For croutons, place bread in a small bowl. Combine the oil, rosemary, salt and pepper; drizzle over bread and toss to coat. Place in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Divide soup among four bowls. Top with croutons, cheese and parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 570 calories, 46 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 804 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Reviews for Crouton-Topped Garlic Soup
"Pass. Not as good as I thought it would be."