Crouton-Topped Garlic Soup for Two Recipe
“Pan roasting the garlic gives this soup a rich flavor, while a touch of cream lends body. The herbed croutons enhance the soup’s taste and add texture, but it’s the freshly grated cheese that make this dish taste like heaven!”—Carolyn Kumpe, El Dorado, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup cubed sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese or shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a small skillet, cook garlic in oil over low heat for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, cook onions in butter until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Add the broth, thyme, bay leaf and reserved garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Stir in cream; heat through. Discard bay leaf.
- 3. For croutons, place bread in a small bowl. Combine the oil, rosemary, salt and pepper; drizzle over bread and toss to coat. Place in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Divide soup among four bowls. Top with croutons, cheese and parsley. Yield: 2 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC