- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham, julienned
- Minced chives
- Flatten bread with a rolling pin; cut each slice into four squares. Brush both sides of bread with butter; press into miniature muffin cups. Bake at 325° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan melt butter; whisk in flour and seasonings until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Place 1/4 teaspoon mustard in each toast cup. Sprinkle half of the cheese into cups. Layer each with ham, sauce and remaining cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with chives. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Croque Monsieur Toast Cups in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p24
Reviews for Croque Monsieur Toast Cups
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review