My son and I prefer a fried egg atop our grilled ham and cheese, but you can make the sandwich without it (and that’s a croque monsieur). —Carolyn Turner, Reno, Nevada
Featured In: 21 Dishes with an Egg on Top
- 1 pound thinly sliced Gruyere cheese, divided
- 16 slices sourdough bread
- 1-1/2 pounds thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 to 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place half of the cheese on eight bread slices; top with ham and remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with softened butter.
- On a griddle, toast sandwiches over medium heat 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Spread tops with mayonnaise; top with remaining cheese. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet; bake 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, for eggs, heat 1 tablespoon butter on griddle over medium-high heat. Break four eggs, one at a time, onto griddle. Reduce heat to low. Cook until desired doneness, turning after whites are set if desired. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place eggs over sandwiches. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Croque Madame in Simple & Delicious December/January 2015
Reviews for Croque Madame
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review