These flaky, light golden-brown croissants will make holiday lunch or dinner something special for your family-and the overnight dough will make things more convenient for you!
- 6-1/4 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon milk, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat 2 cups milk and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat butter until softened but still cold. Spread half of the butter into a 10-in. x 9-in. rectangle on a piece of waxed paper. Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate. Repeat with remaining butter.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into two pieces. Roll one piece into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Remove top sheet from butter; invert over two-thirds of dough. Remove other sheet. Fold unbuttered dough over butter. Fold other side over top. Roll out into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Fold into thirds. Repeat rolling and folding twice. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. Repeat with remaining dough and butter.
- 5. On a floured surface, roll one piece into a 25-in. x 5-in. rectangle. Cut into 5-in. square pieces. Cut each square diagonally in half, forming two triangles. Roll up triangles from the wide end and place pointed side down 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Curve ends down to form crescent shape. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 6. In a small bowl, beat egg with remaining milk. Brush over rolls. Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a spatula to wire racks to cool. Yield: 20 rolls.
1 each: 262 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Croissants
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC