Croissant Pudding with Chocolate Kahlua Sauce Recipe
These custards puff up slightly while baking, creating beautiful, golden crowns. Kahlua brings a mild coffee flavor to the heavenly chocolate sauce.—Cheryl Tucker, Houston, Texas
- 6 croissants, torn into pieces
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Dash salt
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua (coffee liqueur)
- 1. Divide croissant pieces among nine greased 10-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place on baking sheets.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, eggs, cream, sugar, half-and-half, vanilla and salt. Pour over croissant pieces; let stand for 15 minutes or until croissants are softened. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. For sauce, in a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over medium-low heat. Add the sugar, milk and salt; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in Kahlua. Serve with warm pudding. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving with about 2 tablespoons sauce equals 894 calories, 51 g fat (31 g saturated fat), 303 mg cholesterol, 795 mg sodium, 99 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC