Croissant French Toast Recipe
More like a scrumptious dessert than a main dish, this rich French toast is topped with a tangy raspberry sauce and a vanilla sauce that includes ice cream. I cut the croissants into shapes with a cookie cutter for my 4-year-old grandson, Patrick. He even asks for the "ice cream sauce" on pancakes! —June Dickenson Philippi, West Virginia
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- BERRY SAUCE:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- FRENCH TOAST:
- 3 eggs
- 4 croissants, split
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and flour. Stir in cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160°.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in ice cream and vanilla until ice cream is melted. Place plastic wrap over the surface of the sauce; cool.
- 3. For berry sauce, combine raspberries and sugar in a saucepan. Simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 4. In a shallow bowl, beat eggs. Dip both sides of croissants in egg. On a griddle, brown croissants on both sides in butter. Serve with vanilla and berry sauces. Yield: 4 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC