Crock O' Brats
Maryellen Boettcher shares this all-in-one meal from her Fairchild, Wisconsin farm. "I've taken this hearty dish to countless events, and it's popular every time," she says. Slices of bratwurst take center stage alongside potatoes, sauerkraut, apple and onion.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 5 uncooked Johnsonville® Original Bratwurst (1-1/4 pounds) , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large skillet, brown bratwurst on all sides. In a 5-qt. slow
- cooker, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in bratwurst and pan
- drippings. Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until potatoes
- and apple are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 393 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 1,245 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer