My son Josiah enjoys making treats. This recipe is great for kids because it has two manageable time blocks—mixing and chilling the dough, then cutting out and baking the cookies.—Josiah Hildenbrand, San Leandro, California
Recommended: 14 Flag-Shaped Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Crisp Sugar Cookies in Taste of Home February/March 2001, p14
Reviews forCrispy Sugar Cookies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 19, 2009
"I love Lemon Cookies, My friend passed this on to me, they are so.... good.Helen B."