Crisp polenta squares make a delightful side for a variety of main dishes. Sun-dried tomatoes and just the right amount of seasoning make them seem special...a dollop of sour cream adds the finishing touch! Shelly Fisher - Hermiston, Oregon
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 9 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring the water, tomatoes, salt, onion and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon for 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the pan. Stir in cheese and oregano. Spread into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Cut polenta into nine squares. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and cilantro. Dip polenta in the egg mixture, then bread crumb mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook polenta in oil in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Crispy Seasoned Polenta Squares in Healthy Cooking April/May 2010, p55
Reviews for Crispy Seasoned Polenta Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review