Crispy Seasoned Polenta Squares Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 9 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring the water, tomatoes, salt, onion and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon for 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the pan. Stir in cheese and oregano. Spread into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Cut polenta into nine squares. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and cilantro. Dip polenta in the egg mixture, then bread crumb mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook polenta in oil in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Crispy Seasoned Polenta Squares
Sort By :
It was just OK. I had to leave out the onions as we are a non onion family. Also had to leave out the sun-dried tomatoes as I had none. Husband seemed to like it but both of the kids said, "no flavor."
It takes a lot longer to thicken up than the recipe says. If I make it again I would add some bacon and/or mushrooms to the polenta after it's cooked.
MUCH better than the vacuum sealed kind at the supermarket. I was able to rework this to a vegan version ... Very easy and delicious!
These are delicious. I grew up in the Pennsylvania Dutch area and we frequently had corn meal mush for breakfast or lunch. My family doesn't care for it but they like it when other ingredients are added such as this recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Grains Side Dish Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Side Dishes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >