I first tasted these cookies as a newlywed in 1959. Over the years, I've made a few modifications, and now they turn out perfectly every time. —Joanne Kramer, Manchester, Iowa
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups crisp rice cereal, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Crush 2 cups of cereal; add flour, baking soda and baking powder. Gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in butterscotch chips and remaining cereal. Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl.
- Roll dough into 1-1/4-in. balls, then roll in topping. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly with glass.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Crispy Scotchies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p55
Reviews for Crispy Scotchies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 7, 2009
"These are family favorites that I try to make every holiday season. I sometimes add chopped peanuts to the dough."