Crispy Scallops with Tarragon Cream Recipe
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2/3 cup Italian-style panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and water. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and potato flakes. Dip scallops in egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture.
- 2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook scallops in batches for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in tarragon. Serve with scallops. Yield: 4 servings.
4 scallops with about 3 tablespoons sauce equals 503 calories, 40 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 166 mg cholesterol, 544 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 23 g protein.
Reviews for Crispy Scallops with Tarragon Cream
"Simple and good but the sauce was a bit heavy for the delicate taste of scallops. If you put some pork sausage in it and serve it with biscuits the sauce would be great."
"This was amazing!!! I used regular bread crumbs and it worked out just fine. My husband and I couldn't get enough. Can't wait to make this again."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.