Crispy Scallops with Tarragon Cream Recipe
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2/3 cup Italian-style panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and water. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and potato flakes. Dip scallops in egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture.
- 2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook scallops in batches for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in tarragon. Serve with scallops. Yield: 4 servings.
4 scallops with about 3 tablespoons sauce: 503 calories, 40g fat (16g saturated fat), 166mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (trace sugars, trace fiber), 23g protein
Reviews for Crispy Scallops with Tarragon Cream
"Simple and good but the sauce was a bit heavy for the delicate taste of scallops. If you put some pork sausage in it and serve it with biscuits the sauce would be great."
"This was amazing!!! I used regular bread crumbs and it worked out just fine. My husband and I couldn't get enough. Can't wait to make this again."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.