Crispy Pita BLT's Recipe
Pack this sandwich full of fresh produce from your garden or the local farmers market. You'll wow lunch guests with just-picked flavor. — Mary Miller, Poplarville, Mississippi
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Cooking spray
- 8 pita pocket halves
- 8 romaine leaves
- 8 slices tomato
- 16 cooked bacon strips, halved
- 1. In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, garlic and lemon peel. Cover and chill until serving.
- 2. Place flour, milk and bread crumbs in three separate shallow bowls. Coat squash and jalapeno slices with flour, then dip in milk and coat with bread crumbs. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Spritz vegetables with additional cooking spray.
- 3. Bake at 475° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- 4. Spread mayonnaise mixture inside pita halves; fill with lettuce, tomatoes, bacon and breaded vegetables. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
2 filled pita halves equals 554 calories, 27 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 1,047 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Reviews for Crispy Pita BLT's
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC