I like to serve these light crispy cookies with ice cream or sherbet. The recipe is a personal favorite because it came from a good friend.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, orange juice, peel and extract. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Crispy Orange-Almond Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p71
Reviews for Crispy Orange-Almond Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 9, 2010
"These are not overly orange-y, but they still make for a nice cookie. I used 1/3 cup slivered almonds.~ Theresa"