Crispy Norwegian Bows
I've been fixing these cookies for so long, I don't recall where the recipe came from. They're a "must" at our house.
24 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until light and
- lemon-colored. Add cream and cardamom; mix well. Gradually add flour
- until dough is firm enough to roll.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll into a 15-in. square. Using a
- pastry wheel or knife, cut into 15-in. x 1-1/2-in. strips; cut
- diagonally at 2-1/2-in. intervals. In the center of each diamond,
- make a 1-in. slit, pull one end through slit.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- bows, a few at a time, for 20-40 seconds or until golden brown on
- both sides. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
- Yield: 4 dozen.