Crispy Lemon-Fried Chicken
"THIS IS my husband's favorite chicken dish. He loves it done very crispy and well browned. The steps of soaking the chicken pieces in salted lemony water and re-crisping are the secrets to this recipe."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 50 min.
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (2 to 3 pounds each), cut up or 16 pieces of chicken
- 3-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Place chicken pieces in a large bowl; add 3 teaspoons salt, lemon
- juice and enough water to cover chicken. Cover and refrigerate
- Drain thoroughly. In a resealable plastic bag, combine the flour,
- paprika, pepper and remaining salt. Add chicken pieces; seal bag and
- toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Add chicken;
- brown on all sides, about 20 minutes. Reduce heat. Carefully add
- water; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Uncover; cook 10 minutes longer or until chicken is crisp. Yield:
- 6-8 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as