Crispy Herb Bread
Ruby Williams uses herbs to fix this better-for-you garlic bread, which has lots of flavor but little fat. "I live in garlic country, so I use garlic in most every dish," reports the Bogalusa, Louisiana reader.
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, combine oil and garlic powder; brush over bread.
- Sprinkle with the remaining ingredients. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 425° for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut each
- half into five slices. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One slice equals 87 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 166 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.