Crispy Grilled Zucchini with Marinara Recipe
You don’t need a deep-fat fryer for the crispiest little snacks around; let the indoor grill do the work! Try this marinara over ziti or bow-tie pasta for a delicious side dish, too. —Steve Foy, Kirkwood, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min./batch YIELD:24 servings
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1 cup Italian-style panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 medium zucchini, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, whisk egg and salad dressing. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in egg mixture, then coat with bread crumbs. Cook on an indoor grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with marinara. Yield: 2 dozen (2-1/3 cups sauce).
1 appetizer with 1 tablespoon sauce equals 48 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 224 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC