- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1 cup Italian-style panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 medium zucchini, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, whisk egg and salad dressing. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in egg mixture, then coat with bread crumbs. Cook on an indoor grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with marinara. Yield: 2 dozen (2-1/3 cups sauce).
Reviews for Crispy Grilled Zucchini with Marinara
"Let me start by saying I'm not a huge zucchini fan. I usually need quite a bit of flavor from other ingredients for my zucchini. This recipe did not have the added flavor I needed. I felt like I was eating cardboard. The marinara sauce was very good but just not enough to make this recipe ok for me."
"Very easy to make. I work with developmentally disabled adults, who made the recipe with very little assistance but they cut the zucchini julienne style. It was a hit, even the ones that do not normally like vegetables liked this. The staff loved this too and many took the recipe to make at home"