Crispy Goat Cheese Appetizers Recipe
Want an amazing party starter? Coat slices of goat cheese with seasoned bread crumbs, fry them until golden-brown and top them off with tomato, basil, vinegar and pine nuts.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 5 min./batch YIELD:32 servings
- 4 logs (4 ounces each) herbed fresh goat cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1. Freeze cheese for 15 minutes. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- 2. Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, thyme, garlic powder and salt. Dip cheese slices in the flour, eggs, then bread crumb mixture.
- 3. In an electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry cheese slices, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 4. Garnish each appetizer with a tomato half and basil leaf. Drizzle with vinegar; top with pine nuts. Serve warm. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 appetizer equals 97 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 91 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC