Crispy Fried Tacos Recipe
My mother has been making these for more than 30 years. Frying the tacos makes them extra crispy and delicious. Our five grown sons request these whenever they visit.—Catherine Gibbs, Gambrills, Maryland
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced jalapeno peppers
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1. In a blender, combine the salsa ingredients; cover and pulse until salsa reaches desired consistency. Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle with salt. Meanwhile, in another large skillet, fry tortillas in oil in batches just until crisp; drain on paper towels.
- 3. Fill tortillas with beef; sprinkle with cheese. Fold in half. Serve with lettuce and salsa. Yield: 12 tacos.
1 serving (1 each) equals 257 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 546 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC