Crispy Fried Tacos Recipe
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced jalapeno peppers
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1. In a blender, combine the salsa ingredients; cover and pulse until salsa reaches desired consistency. Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle with salt. Meanwhile, in another large skillet, fry tortillas in oil in batches just until crisp; drain on paper towels.
- 3. Fill tortillas with beef; sprinkle with cheese. Fold in half. Serve with lettuce and salsa. Yield: 12 tacos.
1 each: 257 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein .
Reviews for Crispy Fried Tacos
"Despite the oil already present after the initial fry, I still had to add a little oil to the skillet for the 2nd fry. Perhaps lower heat would have helped, but my first few (before adding extra oil) were scorched in spots, limp in others. Still, we liked them and will make again with minor adjustments."
"I wish the recipe had more indepth instructions as far as frying the corn tortillas in the oil, i.e. how long they needed to fry in the oil. I thought the meat was too bland, and the salsa recipe made more than we needed. I was pretty disappointed in this recipe--I really was excited to make it, but sad it didn't turn out well. I'll stick to getting my crispy tacos at a Mexican restaurant instead."
"This is a great basic recipe for homestyle tacos, though I brown the meat with chopped onion and add extra seasonings. The tacos are reminiscent of the ones I had when I was a kid before there were the fast-food kinds. My sons say they are the best!"