My mother has been making these for more than 30 years. Frying the tacos makes them extra crispy and delicious. Our five grown sons request these whenever they visit.—Catherine Gibbs, Gambrills, Maryland
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced jalapeno peppers
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- In a blender, combine the salsa ingredients; cover and pulse until salsa reaches desired consistency. Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle with salt. Meanwhile, in another large skillet, fry tortillas in oil in batches just until crisp; drain on paper towels.
- Fill tortillas with beef; sprinkle with cheese. Fold in half. Serve with lettuce and salsa. Yield: 12 tacos.
Originally published as Crispy Fried Tacos in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p291
Reviews for Crispy Fried Tacos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review