Crispy French Toast Recipe
Field editor Flo Burtnett, Gage, Oklahoma, lightens up her golden French toast with egg substitute and skim milk, then flavors it with orange juice, vanilla and a dash of nutmeg. The cornflake coating adds a fun crunch.
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 12 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1-1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1. In a shallow dish, combine the egg substitute, milk, orange juice, vanilla and nutmeg. Add bread; soak for 5 minutes, turning once. Coat both sides of each slice with cornflake crumbs.
- 2. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes; turn. Bake 5-8 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 12 slices.
One slice equals 147 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 359 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC