Crispy Eggplant Bruschetta Recipe
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 1. Place eggs in a shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip eggplant in the flour mixture, eggs, then bread crumb mixture.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook eggplant in batches in oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until tender. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion and basil. Top each eggplant slice with mozzarella cheese and tomato mixture. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 appetizer equals 204 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 267 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.