Crispy Date Bars Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, combine the dates, sugar and butter; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup hot mixture to egg; return all to pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in cereal, nuts and vanilla. Spread over crust. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until creamy. Frost bars; cut and store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Crispy Date Bars(2)
Sort By :
I've gotten rave reviews every time I have made these. I like them better when I leave out the sugar in the date layer, and it's important that the butter in the crust is cold (it makes the crust tough if not). I've made it with nuts and without and it's good both ways. Yum!
Next time I will cut down on the crust. It seemed there was more crust than filling. Filling was extra good. 24 servings from a 9 x9 pan?? The bars would have to be extra small for that. They are rich so cut them a bit small.