Nothing says “summer“ at our house like this unique salad! It’s also a great way to use up fresh basil and tomatoes from the garden. I’ve brought it to many women’s luncheons at church, and it’s still a much-requested favorite. --LaNae Sanchez, Canyon Country, California
- 3 cups cubed Italian bread
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 6 ounces cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white or brown balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place bread cubes in a single layer in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown, stirring twice. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, mozzarella, yellow pepper and basil. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with croutons. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Crispy Crouton Salad in Simple & Delicious July/August 2006, p35
Reviews for Crispy Crouton Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review