Crispy Cinnamon Twists Recipe
I'm in my 80s and still enjoy making all my old recipe. These crispy twists bake up nice and sweet.—Lois Heffelfinger, Hamilton, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water. Add yeast; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter and shortening until crumbly.
- 2. Combine the sour cream, eggs and vanilla; stir into flour mixture. Stir in yeast mixture until well blended (do not knead). Divide dough into four sections. Wrap each section in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 3. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle 3-4 tablespoons on a work surface. Place one portion of the dough on cinnamon-sugar. Roll out to a 9-in. x 6-in. rectangle.
- 4. Sprinkle center third of dough with 1 tablespoon cinnamon-sugar. Fold one unsugared section over center. Sprinkle top of dough with 1 tablespoon cinnamon-sugar.
- 5. Bring remaining section of dough over cinnamon sugar and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar. Roll dough into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Cut into twelve 1-in. strips. Twist each strip several times. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- 6. Place strips on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 102 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC