Sugared almonds and chow mein noodles add fun crunch to this salad that makes the most of leftover chicken. Says Irene Dickhausen from St. Paul, Minnesota, “This salad is speedy, simple and always popular at ladies’ luncheons.”
Featured In: 21 Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups chopped lettuce
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups chow mein noodles
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained and patted dry
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 green onion, chopped
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add almonds; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until toasted. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, salt, hot pepper sauce and remaining sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, chicken, noodles, pineapple, celery and onion. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Break apart sugared almonds; sprinkle over salad. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Crispy Chicken Salad in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007, p55
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Crispy Chicken Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review