Crispy Caribbean Veggie Wraps Recipe
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 22 wonton wrappers
- Cooking spray
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1. Scrub and pierce sweet potato; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 12-14 minutes or until tender, turning once. When cool enough to handle, cut the potato in half. Scoop out the pulp discarding shell; place pulp in a small bowl and mash. Stir in the beans, onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, cumin, jalapeno and garlic.
- 2. Lightly brush water over all four edges of one wonton wrapper. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Spread 1 tablespoon filling along one edge of wrapper; roll up tightly. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- 3. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly spritz wraps with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with salsa. Yield: 22 appetizers.
1 wrap with about 1 tablespoon salsa equals 42 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 230 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.