Crispy Breakfast Slices
I often prepared this dish when my kids were young. Now that they're grown, I still make it for my husband. He finally admits he looked forward to eating it as much as the kids!
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a saucepan, bring water, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to a
- boil. Stir in oats. Return to a boil; cook 1 minute. Remove from the
- heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Pour into a greased 8-in. x
- 4-in. loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Unmold and cut into 1/2-in. slices. Fry in butter in a skillet over
- medium heat until browned, about 6-8 minutes. Serve with syrup if
- desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 103 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 296 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.