- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a saucepan, bring water, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to a boil. Stir in oats. Return to a boil; cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Unmold and cut into 1/2-in. slices. Fry in butter in a skillet over medium heat until browned, about 6-8 minutes. Serve with syrup if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCrispy Breakfast Slices
"I added a pinch of cardimum, a dash of vanilla, and used 1/3 cup brown sugar instead of regular sugar. It was a huge hit!"