Crispy Breakfast Slices Recipe
I often prepared this dish when my kids were young. Now that they're grown, I still make it for my husband. He finally admits he looked forward to eating it as much as the kids!
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a saucepan, bring water, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to a boil. Stir in oats. Return to a boil; cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Unmold and cut into 1/2-in. slices. Fry in butter in a skillet over medium heat until browned, about 6-8 minutes. Serve with syrup if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Crispy Breakfast Slices in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p81
Reviews for Crispy Breakfast Slices(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 6, 2012
I added a pinch of cardimum, a dash of vanilla, and used 1/3 cup brown sugar instead of regular sugar. It was a huge hit!