Crispy Beer Battered Fish Recipe
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 cups crushed unsalted top saltines (about 40)
- 4 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a shallow bowl, combine the cornstarch, baking powder, salt, Creole seasoning, paprika, cayenne and 1/2 cup flour. Stir in milk and beer until smooth. Place crackers and remaining flour in separate shallow bowls. Coat fillets with flour, then dip in batter and coat with crackers.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry fish in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Crispy Beer Battered Fish
Sort By :
"Very good batter. Used real beer because I don't believe nonalcoholic beer is allowed in our home. If you put the prepared fish in the freezer 15-20 min then directly into the hot oil, the batter won't fall off the fish during frying."
"This batter is not just for Fish! It also works very well on Chicken. I prepared some chicken wings using this recipe last week and they were wonderful. Who would believe that Beer and milk would work so well together. They do and the amount of heat is just enough.I did make one small change. I did not use the saltines. I lightly dusted each wing with some of the same spices that went into the batter. I allowed the wings to air dry for about 20 minutes. Then into the batter they went. I tapped the side of the bowl to remove excess batter before placing into the hot oil. My wings were on the larger side so I finished cooking them in the oven for an additional 15 minutes at 350.I also believe that this same batter would a good one to use with onion rings.Janie"
"made this last night i and my boss enjoyed it and there is no leftovers for the kids"
"I used Guinness as my beer of choice and Panko instead of saltines. Tastes great!! Thank you for this recipe! My cod has never looked or tasted so good."
"This is excellent! It crisps back up nicely in the oven the next day too!"