Crispy Beef Tostadas
Meet the Cook: I am a self-taught cook whose family had to eat a lot of "mistakes" till I got the right taste! I changed the meat and flavoring many times in this one-dish meal, for example. Now, it's a favorite. I just served it to 24 people at a party.
My husband and I have seven grown children and 10 grandchildren.
-Joy Rackham, Chimacum, Washington
6 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + resting Cook: 20 min.
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Picante sauce
- Shredded lettuce
- Finely chopped green onions
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder; add the milk to
- form a soft dough. Cover and let rest for 1 hour.
- About 30 minutes before serving, in a large skillet, cook beef over
- medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in garlic, chilies,
- taco seasoning and water; simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in beans; heat
- through and keep warm.
- Divide dough into sixths. On a lightly floured surface, roll each