Meet the Cook: I am a self-taught cook whose family had to eat a lot of "mistakes" till I got the right taste! I changed the meat and flavoring many times in this one-dish meal, for example. Now, it's a favorite. I just served it to 24 people at a party. My husband and I have seven grown children and 10 grandchildren. -Joy Rackham, Chimacum, Washington
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Picante sauce
- Shredded lettuce
- Finely chopped green onions
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder; add the milk to form a soft dough. Cover and let rest for 1 hour.
- About 30 minutes before serving, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in garlic, chilies, taco seasoning and water; simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in beans; heat through and keep warm.
- Divide dough into sixths. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. circle. In a deep-fat fryer, preheat oil to 375°. Fry tostadas in hot oil until golden, turning once; drain on paper towels. Top each with meat mixture, picante sauce, lettuce, onions, tomatoes and cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Crispy Beef Tostadas in Country Woman September/October 1995, p29
Reviews for Crispy Beef Tostadas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 10, 2014
"Husband really liked these-bdw"
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2012