Crispy Baked Wontons Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 package (12 ounces) wonton wrappers
- Cooking spray
- Sweet-and-sour sauce, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the pork, turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the water chestnuts, soy sauce, egg substitute and ginger.
- 2. Position a wonton wrapper with one point toward you. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Place 2 heaping teaspoons of filling in the center of wrapper. Fold bottom corner over filling; fold sides toward center over filling. Roll toward the remaining point. Moisten top corner with water; press to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- 3. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray; lightly coat wontons with additional cooking spray.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Serve warm with sweet-and-sour sauce if desired. Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 wonton (calculated without sweet-and-sour sauce) equals 38 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer