Crispy Baked Onion Rings
These crispy, lightly browned rings from Della Stamp of Long Beach, California are a healthy alternative to the deep-fried version. Thyme and paprika enhance the flavor of the tender onions.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + soaking Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound sweet onions
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut onions into 1/2-in. slices; separate into rings and place in a
- bowl. Cover with ice water; soak for 30 minutes. Drain.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. In another bowl,
- combine the bread crumbs, thyme, salt, paprika and pepper. Divide
- the crumb mixture among three large resealable plastic bags. Dip a
- third of the onions in the egg whites; add a few rings at a time to
- crumb mixture and shake to coat. Place on a baking sheet coated with
- cooking spray.
- Repeat with remaining onions and crumb mixture. Bake at 400° for
- 20 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 169 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 865 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.