Crispy Almond Strips
Remember sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on pieces of pastry dough and popping them in the oven along with the pie you just helped make? That's what these crisp strips taste like.
36 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + freezing Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cut butter in flour until mixture resembles coarse
- crumbs. With a fork, stir in sour cream until blended. Divide dough
- in half; shape each half into a ball and flatten. Wrap tightly and
- freeze for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup sugar on a lightly floured surface; roll each
- portion of dough into a 12-in. square. Combine the almonds, cinnamon
- and remaining sugar; sprinkle over dough. Using a rolling pin, press
- nut mixture into dough. Cut into 1-in. strips; cut each strip
- widthwise into thirds.
- Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for
- 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Yield: 6 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 106 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 53 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.